Tuesday, July 3, 2012

And then I got passed by Santa Claus

As previously implied, yesterday began Operation Ride to Work Everyday.  I made it in no problem - even logged a new time record of 48:03.  It was the first time I went through downtown, instead of along the waterfront, so the route was much more direct, but it was also much more hilly.  And much more filled with anxious bus drivers who made my commute like a real-life Frogger.

By the time I got back on the bike in the afternoon, the wind was purposefully coming from the direction I was headed, and making no indications of letting up.  Made it up to downtown, only getting lost once, made it to Dexter Ave without being squashed by a bus and navigating around my second wrong turn on the day.  Climbing up Dexter was pretty brutal, although there was a line of us cruising.  Unfortunately we weren't cruising at my comfortable climbing pace, so I passed and went ahead.  I was vaguely aware of a cyclist in full kit that stayed on my wheel, so I just waited until he or she had enough of my speed and went around.  It didn't take long.  As she passed I realized I knew who she was via the racing circuit, and jumped on her wheel for the remainder of the hill.  Whew!  We had a little chat at the next light, which concluded the highlight of the ride.

On my way up 8th Ave, things started getting sluggish.  One guy blew by me south of Market, and I started to wonder if maybe there was something mechanical going on, because I could not POSSIBLY be that tired or hungry.  Thought about pulling over to check the rear wheel, but kept pushing.  As I'm cruising at a blistering 7.5 mph, an old guy with a white beard, khaki pants and white walking shoes passes me on his hybrid comfort bike.  Santa Claus just passed me on his way to his 3rd margarita.  Awesome.  And ego = deflated.  So another block and I pulled over to discover my back brakes rubbing and effectively rendering me useless against the fat man's power.  Or at least that's going to be the story we stick with.  I might just have hit the wall.  But I'm pretty sure it was the brakes.  Or fenders.  Or reindeer poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment