Friday, January 23, 2015

Eight rooms in eight months.

So to *really* move back into the condo and properly make it my space, I have some work to do. That is to say, I never really and fully moved into it in the first place (I had only been ther for 6+ years before what we will call the Loft Haitus).

I think I can break the condo into eight unique spaces which will be necessary to work through them systematically and not get overwhelmed. Each one of these mini projects begins with a massive nano level cleaning effort.  The condo as a whole is something I'd like to be done with by the end of the year, so one space per month seems like a good pace once the ball gets rolling. A doable pace? TBD.

1. Master Bedroom: Move overhead light to center of room; add ceiling fan if space and structure allows. Move sconce lighting in alcove to recessed lighting in alcove and closet. Build bookshelf/tall clothes hanging space in alcove. Clear out filing cabinet and reduce papers to one or two pendaflex boxes (i.e. the shredfest). Purge shoes and clothes that haven't been worn in a year or more. 

2. Master Bathroom: Install wainscoting. Clean & grease shower controls. Possilbly repaint with a less abrasive white. 

3. Guest Bathroom: Replace drywall from where that leak was over the tub years ago. Probably a good idea to ensure said leak won't return once new drywall is in. Paint over the God Awful puke orange color. Fix the hinge on the cabinet below the sink. Secure sink faucet so that it doesn't twist (because it shouldn't).

4. Spare Bedroom: I don't even know where to start with this one. I suppose I'll be able to get a better vision when it's not the Gear Cave From Hell and one can actually enter without wearing an avalanche beacon and radioing for backup when one finds themselves lost two feet from the door.  I think I would like this space to be a classy combination of gear storage and guest accommodations -- if that's even possible... With the option to set up the bike trainer as necessary. Definitely need to move the overhead light to center and add the ceiling fan if I can. And paint. Paint well enough so that the bright blue that is below the glossy white is completely eradicated from memory. Otherwise this room is definitely the wild card. 

5. Hallway: Paint!! This glossy white everywhere has got to go. Frame some interesting Wine Folly prints to hang.

6. Living Room: Connect the "Drive In Theatre."  Get some small speakers to set up behind the couch for surround sound. Unpack more books for the bookshelf. Retrieve sewing machine from Chance's to put next to the fireplace. Paint -- probably just a matte off white (snooze, I know). Move overhead light from corner to center; add ceiling fan if appropriate. 

7. Kitchen: Other than unpacking my dishes and cookware and reorganizing the food cabinets, there's not much to do here I think. Maybe a bigger/better spice storage system. Paint... Although the color/finish isn't bad as is.

8. Front Entrance: Add a wine rack to the bar table. Add helmet and camelback storage to the bike closet. And paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment