Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ohio, Day 31

St. Patrick's Eve.  Gaia and I are having some roasted green beans and Cava.  We were working on our super cute tote bag project until we realized that we likely purchased the wrong type of interfacing and are unable to continue.  So blog update it is.  It is highly likely I will drink the entire bottle of Cava tonight -- good thing my plans for tomorrow morning mostly entail lazing about.  I have discovered Pandora radio, and tonight is an XX kind of a night.

Things of note this week:
-- My stinky little brother has scored himself a trip to Italy for the week to "chaperone" the band on their trip.  I think this is highly related to the fact that his good buddy is the marching band's director and has very little to do with whether or not my brother is an appropriate person for this job.  Clearly, I would have been a better choice.

-- Pat, Fred and I have declared war on Stairwell Safety.  Or on the overzealous new building safety focal because s/he felt the need to print out FIFTY (Five. Zero.) copies of the "avoid a fall; use handrails" sign to distribute over FOUR one-floor stairwells.  Fred and I came up with a "Stair Use Checklist" and I posted that Wednesday afternoon.  Surprisingly, no one pegged me as the culprit.  Thursday, Pat was back in the lab and nonchalantly said "I have a sleeping bag in the truck -- we could illustrate using the ten essentials."  So we did.  I posted the photo of Pat bivvying on the landing Thursday afternoon.  When I got to work Friday morning, all three pieces had been taken down, which indicates that our building safety focal does not have a sense of humor, unlike the people in the building that I actually associate with, because they all thought this was hysterical.  We talked about going all Blogess on their asses and putting up a missing sign for the sign, but then thought we probably pushed it as far as we could.  Luckily, there are 49 more signs that are just screaming for something to be done, so we have options.  And not a lot of direct work.  (Actually only 47 more signs -- one has been turned upside down and another has a photo of Grumpy Cat blatantly disobeying the order.)

Missing:  Have you seen these signs?

-- Injuries sustained from last week's tumble off the mountain bike have left me sore and stiff.  I think I have the O.L.D.  I was unable to do much but go for piddly little runs early in the week, which I don't think actually did me any favors.  I rowed this morning with Lisa, which was the best I've physically felt since Sunday.  The original elbow scab has already come off and the second round is forming nicely.  And we're out of hydrogen peroxide.

Meet the Ice Station Zebra.

-- Jo and Arthur showed up in NW Pennsylvania to take Adam to dinner and hassle him tonight.  I originally thought that they had drove 8 hours, surprised him, and intended on driving back Sunday.  Apparently they flew and it was planned... I like the former version better.

Like I said, adorable.

-- Three hours with Mary Turtle over tequila/wine and butternut squash quesadillas.  Good healing, restorative, renaissance girl time.

-- Wine and small plates with Adam's Patagucci friends, Mike & Regan.  Regan called me somewhat out of the blue and drug me out of hibernation Friday evening.  It was wonderful.

-- French toast waffles this morning between rowing with Lisa and refereeing in the freezing hurricane at Green Lake. Definitely a new favorite. 

As inspired by Jennifer Perillo

-- That time I really wanted a bourbon/lemon/maple syrup cocktail, but I got the glass stuck in the shaker and had to call Kevin to explain how to get it out.  Also discovered a legitimate reason to keep the hair dryer around: warming the shaker to extract the pint glass. 

DAMN YOU SHAKER, GIVE ME MY BOURBON!

-- Three AM Wednesday morning when the old Ballard smoke detector's battery died.  Fifteen minutes later I found it buried on the toolbox shelf.  Gaia was not pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment