Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ohio, Day 17

Today's post brought to you by my new iPad. Woot!!

Although I'm already convinced blogging or anything else that requires lots of typing will be saved for the laptop and its big keyboard.

Gaia is currently laying on my feet, which is a welcome weight after standing in the chilly rain at the Sounders game for the last two hours. I sorely underestimated the amount of warm clothes I would need. Especially given that the rest of today had been 60 and nearly sunny. I started the day with a lovely row with Lisa, just up to the Ballard bridge and back. The water wasn't great, but we both commented on how nice the headwind was on the way back, partially because we're a little sick and partially because a solid catch in a headwind feels pretty awesome. Then errands about Ballard and the U District, including coffee with the Harshman girls. Lana and Natalie have turned into strong, confident, brilliant young women and I'm always amazed and humbled to think that I had even the tiniest part in their development.

Spent a good amount of time just hanging out at home this afternoon, including a nap with dog snuggles. I had Gaia in at the doggie acupuncturist a few weeks ago and she recommended switching up the dog food to help with the non-stop itching. Adam also recommended fish oil, so Gaia's diet just went hippie. Salmon oil on the kibble for breakfast and a new grain-free kibble to see if the overall skin condition improves. So far, no complaints from the doggie department.

This week I made some progress on the home improvement list. Picked up a new salad spinner while I was torturing myself at U Village. Finally got another light connected in the bathroom after many failed attempts and Home Depot visits. Hung some super cute Japanese paper lanterns over what were bare light bulbs slung over the non-functional lighting wiring in the main space. Got the cave mostly cleaned up and usable. Laid down the diatomaceous earth to in part of February Fleamageddon... That was kind of a disaster; now it just looks like someone had a very messy cocaine party on all the carpets. So pretty good.

Tomorrow is single track race #2 in the series. It's down in Tacoma again, but I think further south than the last time. I upgraded to Cat 2 -- partially to get a longer ride (2 laps instead of 1), partially to race 3 hours later and not have to set an alarm, but mostly because I think I can hang with the Cat 2 women. And the main thing I need to remind myself of during this series is that I am riding because it is FUN. I've already caught myself a few times freaking out because I missed a training ride opportunity. That's only going to lead me down the path of crazy, so I need to proceed carefully. Sleeping in then having post race food and drink at the Walrus with Dana should help to keep me in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment