Sunday, January 8, 2012

Midway, Day 24

I have attempted to get back into a routine this week, but I feel like I'm still catching up from everything I didn't get done over holiday break.  Mostly the Kitchen Redeux.  Niki and I got one of the cabinets up on the wall Wednesday.  Then we discovered the other one I had purchased had a crack in it, so we went to Lowe's to exchange it.  As we left for Lowe's, the torrential downpour started.  I don't know that it's ever rained that hard in Seattle.  And of course the cabinet wouldn't fit in the jeep.  We were soaked by the time we conceded and loaded into Niki's car.  SOAKED.  I had to put my pants in the dryer the next morning in order to be able to wear them.  Anyway, it was this evening before both cabinets were fully up and had anything in them.  Now I'm screwing around with how to put the shelves between them.  That'll take all this week, I'm sure.  Kind of because sitting my ass on this couch and drinking wine ranks a little bit higher.

Adam called while Niki and I were at Lowe's Wednesday.  He goes, "You're so busted.  You hit 69 miles an hour on your way to Skykomish.  Way to follow the speed limit."  I froze.  I had no idea he knew I took his truck.  "Um, what?"  He apparently had the GPS on and knew EVERYTHING.  I was so embarassed, and totally sorry that I hadn't told him.  I asked him if he had a GPS on Niki's car too, and if he knew where we were at that very moment.  And then I told him Niki was going to learn to drive stick by herself on the jeep Thursday and he should put a GPS on that.  Good save, I think.  It's become a big joke between Niki and me now, which is a much better outcome than me getting in big trouble.  I swear, I did it for Gaia!

Yesterday was my 30th birthday.  I'm 30.  THIRTY.  Maybe if I say it a few more times I'll start panicking about it.  The day itself was pretty good - started with a great row with Lisa in the double, then a few hours of OT in the TM room hanging out with Jason & Miller, then some cupcake baking and a night out in Ballard.  Niki, Emily, Dana, Richard, and eventually Chance met at the Walrus.  We popped Richard's oyster eating cherry, and he even insisted we order a second round of the Blue Pools.  I got to be a cocktail guinea pig, and had a fabulous "coffee flip" which won't come out on the menu for another week.  Celery salad, brussel sprouts, scallop tartare, speck, grilled sardines, smoked trout... and more cocktails.  I love the Walrus.  The only thing missing was Emily the waitress.  We ventured over to the Fir for a few drinks, and then Richard and Chance got to see the glory that is Adam's apartment to retrieve the afore mentioned cupcakes.  The snowboards-turned-shelves were the highlight of their tour, although Chance was in awe of the coffee percolator.

I've scored some internet of (almost) my very own.  Splitting with my roller derby neighbor across the hall, which makes internet affordable.  This has also allowed Adam and me to figure out the Gmail video chat, and that alone is worth the money to Comcast.  The other day I even put Gaia up on the chair so she could be seen by the webcam.  It's certainly made talking easier - score one more for Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment