Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Midway, Day 39

How has it been six days already?  snOMG! kept me indoors Thursday too.  Another long walk with Gaia (and Richard!), but it wasn't too long before cabin fever was setting in.  I was determined to go to work Friday, even if the roads were bad because I had to get out.  The roads were fine, we got about three inches of rain and all the snow was long gone by Saturday.  Friday I ended up doing TM duty, along with everyone else in SDL.  Apparently Miller thought he, Phil and Jason would all be out, so he called every TM-capable warm body in the group to get coverage.  And we all showed up (including Phil).  After a less than notable preflight, two of the guys retreated to the lab and Phil told my Angry Cubemate (here on out known as "Homeslice") that he could only stay if he sat at the table in the back where no one could hear him curse into his headset.

Friday evening I had a pretty successful go at the gym - knocked out a few routes that had been spitting me off since they went up.  So I felt pretty good about all that.  Then I met Dana and Suzanne at the Fir, where I intended to do some Barcelona research, but didn't really get any done.  Not all my fault though!  The Fir shares a building with the Ballard old folks home, and apparently it's not uncommon for the latter to set off the fire alarm.  And they did, Friday in the freezing rain.  So we all had to haul outside until it stopped going off.  I guess three tables ditched their tab in the process, and another girl almost made a break for it, but Ellen practically tackled her on the way, so she came back in to settle up.  But that pretty much cleared things out though, and we practically had the place to ourselves.  So much so that Ellen AND Rick came to sit with us for a solid chunk of time.  Ah, the life of a regular.

Saturday I worked.  There was actually a lot I did not get done at home on those snowdays - go figure.  So I put in nearly a full day after an aborted morning row.  Then I had a reiki session with Krizten (my spiritual and sexual chakras are in great shape), and then she tried to convince me to adopt a puppy.  She's had them posted up on Dorkbook for a week or so and I came to meet them.  They were unbelievably cute, but I am so not prepared to be a responsible puppy owner.  I feel guilty enough for leaving Gaia all day long.  A puppy is not a good idea.


So tiny.  Such chewing teeth.

Sunday I was so productive you're not even going to be able to wrap your head around it.  I was up fairly early, and did a massive clean out of the fridge and freezer, which then resulted in making stock from the turkey carcass that's been freezing for two Thanksgivings.  Two more batches of the cookie project, a run to the drycleaners, the fabric store and retrieving my crockpot from Adam's.  I had another "I'm becoming my mother" moment when I went in for half a yard of white and came out with $150 in fabric, kits and patterns.  I had grand plans of getting a quilt put together in time to do the hand stitching en route to Midway, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen.

Tonight is a break from the cookies to make a birthday cake.  I think this cookie project may turn into just going through the book in order instead of going through the book in order in 50 weeks.  Otherwise December may not be a lot of fun.  I've had three suboptimal results and I have determined that I wouldn't make a very good 1940's housewife.  Adam pointed out that since I've never simultaneously worn a dress, heels and apron that I was probably right.


No comments:

Post a Comment