Monday, February 6, 2012

Midway, Day 52

Alright kids, I do believe we've hit the halfway mark on this Midway operation.  Of course, I'm not positive about that because no one really knows when the boy is getting off the island.  Theoretically sometime between March 15 and March 29.  I heard a rumor of March 26, but then I heard the plane to Honolulu was full.  So I guess I'll just wait - not much else in the way of options, eh?

I do know that I am two and a half days from my departure time.  And I'm getting giddy excited about it.  Probably won't be much use these next two days, unless it involves thinking about packing, or flying halfway across the Pacific, or talking about one or the other.  Gaia has earned herself a return invite to George's - probably because she's perfect, but more likely because Moose died the week she was there and George, and his wife and son practically broke into tears when I came to pick her up last week.  But they're all going out of town halfway through my Midway trip, so the blessed Katie P will brave Gaia in the car and bring her back to the Greenwood Hood for the final few days.  Gaia will certainly be loved and spoiled in the next week and a half.

The rest of IMAC was uneventful.  I had more of an audience at my talk than I expected, given the buses for the hospitality event departed 15 minutes before I started talking.  But no dumb questions, and no hard ones either.  FNG, Charlie and I escaped and went to a Tapas bar near the beach.  It was delicious.  And they had GF chocolate cake to boot.  A little jaunt to put our toes in the Atlantic and life was complete.  Thursday I sat in on the much anticipated sports equipment dynamics talks, but was wholly disappointed.  The erg guy didn't know a thing about rowing ("We had the rowers row at 30 rowings per minute working up to 60 rowings per minute."), and the guy studying climbers' hand force grip as compared to performance only concluded that the less time the guy spent on each hold, the faster he got up the wall.  I left after that - the tennis racket talk held no interest, until I saw that the presenter was exceptionally attractive, but I was already halfway out the door and it would have been really awkward to turn around and sit back down.  So FNG and I went for a long walk on the beach instead.  And then found pizza.  And a bottle of wine.  And told ridiculous stories, because that's what we do.

Came home to a weekend of 60 and sunny - beautiful row Saturday morning, followed by (an nap and then) a big cup of coffee and some laundry.  Then I followed through with my promise to go to Wendell's trainer and her "class sampler" on her two year anniversary.  Mother Shitnuggets.  The first 30 minutes was step aerobics and my calves have never been more sore.  Then another 90 minutes of "step & sculpt" and "cardio kickboxing" and some bootcamp stuff.  I definitely held my own, but had to have a snack halfway through the operation or I think I would have collapsed.  This woman also teaches a "cardio striptease" class, so I'm on the hunt for someone who won't be freaked out when I suggest we go.  Not sure if it's the tired and sore (I had to use the elevators to go down today), or if I just wasn't paying attention, but I rolled my ankle on the run today, which was frustrating.  Wine is helping though.  So did the steak and kale.

Anyway, now it's time to not waste away in front of the computer all night - the kitchen needs cleaning (... or my battery is about to die).

No comments:

Post a Comment