Sunday, March 4, 2012

Midway, Day 80

Let's run with a Blogess-style Weekly Wrap up: Shit I did when I wasn't here.  I think we already covered Monday's much needed sick day.  I was pretty toasted the rest of the week too - ready for bed before 10p every night.  I don't think I ever got into bed before 10p any night, but that's another story.  Ok, in reverse order...

Tonight I did happy hour at the Walrus & Carpenter with Aimee.  She's a fellow rower & all around badass (trade track racing & climbing for roller derby).  Other than a couple of brief conversations at parties at Dana's, Aimee and I don't actually know each other.  But we greeted each other like we've been pals for years.  I guess given the background of who you know, and what you do, and your implied values and strengths and some people are just automatically friends.  We had a fabulous time eating oysters, drinking the delicious concoctions Mustache made for us, and talking about Paris.  (Digression: On Adam's recommendation, I got there plenty early to stand in line.  Aimee got there right at 4:00, when they opened.  I was seated without connecting with her, but with the stipulation that I was *suppose to* wait until my entire party was there, like it was such a rule breaking event that I got two spots at the end of the bar by myself.  But then Mustache recognized me and welcome me and asked how I'd been.  One of those times it pays to be a regular, or at least a dormant regular.)  Aimee complimented my little wallet, and I mentioned it had been a thank you gift for throwing a baby shower for one of my girlfriends.  Aimee launches into how much she despises baby showers and refuses to go.  And I have to say her reasoning was completely sound and somewhat liberating.  Because I too HATE baby showers.  Partly because I'm not at that stage in my life.  And partly because listening to "oh, that's sooooo cute" for two straight hours kind of makes me want to puke.  So I'm about to bail out of a shower I said I'd go to this month - it's the day after Adam gets back and I'm pretty sure I won't know anyone.  I applaud, admire and respect the pregnant, and I am more than happy to visit and bring a baby-centric gift, but the idea of spending two hours oogling over baby stuff (ps, btw - how did people have children a hundred years ago before all this stuff???) is zero percent appealing to me.  I already have an awesome book for this mom-to-be, and will bring her a big ass pot of soup or pan of lasagna post-delivery, but I really think it will be better for everyone if I gracefully bow out of the actual shower event.  There.  I said it.

I was actually slightly hungover this morning (and I don't know how this syrah got poured and sitting in a glass in front of me), thanks to the epic birthday party for Silas Brown-Turtle.  The man turned 10.  Double digits!  Scott & Mary always throw a wicked kids' birthday party, and last night was no exception.  I think the kids started partying about 2p, but the adults went 'til at least midnight.  Much wine was drank (especially by Niki), many sex jokes were made out of earshot of children, and lots of delicious food was cooked and eaten.  I think I had a taco & sweet potato soup hangover this morning too.  Those are evenings that I'm reminded how fortunate I am to have had been a part of Tom's life and be so accepted and welcomed by all of his people.  Even if it leaves me hungover.

Gaia ran some errands with me yesterday morning and then we went to the dog park, and that was all just too much.  As much as she LOVED running around off-leash and incessantly chasing the ball into the water, she is done.  Last night she was shaking from exhaustion, and has been flat out unable to use her bum leg since she got back in the jeep post park.  Makes me feel like I'm a horrible dog mom.  So drugs for the week and probably a run back to doggie acupuncture later in the week.  I think no one (including Gaia) wants surgery, so I should probably focus on just getting her healed up in the next few weeks and not walking her all over creation, no matter what pathetic looks she gives me.

Friday I had my new washer & dryer delivered and installed.  And I'm totally calling bullshit on the first crew that insisted that a stackable unit wasn't possible.  Because it totally is.  Friday's crew showed up five minutes before my scheduled window started, and had everything installed 35 minutes later, did their final checks and were out the door in less than an hour.  It was impressive.  Although the I'm not convinced the dryer vent in my building actually goes anywhere... but I do have all sorts of clean clothes and clean sheets and clean towels now.  I'm even tempted to wash Adam's sheets again - even though I've only slept in them about three times.  Both the washer and dryer sing a little tune when they finish, which is super cute.  One of those things that make me feel like a real adult (singing appliances do that).  Also a thing that makes me realize that it's best to throw down the cash for what you really want, and not buy something cheap with the intent of upgrading later, because I won't actually upgrade until whatever it was breaks and then I'll just be mad for not doing it right in the first place (same goes for good fitting clothes & shoes!).

Oh hells yes.

Friday evening (ok, a little out of reverse chronological order) I had dinner & drinks with Farmer.  WHAT!?!?  That's right - THE Farmer.  He emailed me during the day about grad school stuff and we ended up deciding I should join him post-gym for food & beer.  His lady, Tasha, came along and she's just as awesome as Dorkbook makes her out to be.  She's also REALLY good at pretending we've never interacted before about a certain surprise party later this month.  I'm pretty sure Farmer & Adam would get along terribly well, and I look forward to integrating them into my more permanent social circle.  I'm pretty happy with having removed myself from the big socializing events and focusing on having fewer, more meaningful relationships, and I think Farmer & Tasha should be in the latter group.

I think nothing major happened mid-week.  I had dinner with Chance Thursday over at Naked City.  I still adore Chance, even if he bailed out on me Wendesday evening - which was filled with sushi & Young Frankenstein instead, ps btw.  He's (hopefully) coming out of a rough time, and he's another one I hope to keep in my group of close friends.  There's talk of an undoubtedly epic road trip to Montana in May - Jo, Sile, Chance, Adam, me all to see Zana.  How could that not be epic?

This uneventful weekend that was suppose to be used to sew has turned into a fairly eventful weekend in which I have gotten nearly no sewing done.  So now I'm going to retrieve my clean sheets, make the bed, and maybe get a few stitches in.

No comments:

Post a Comment