Friday, May 18, 2012

Internet Rules

Rule #1 of internet boredom is to not - under ANY circumstances - google your ex-boyfriends.  Because it will just create a downward spiral of self-doubt, feelings of inadequacy, and a whole lot of "what was wrong with ME???"  Assuming that you were seriously interested in this guy.  Otherwise said search may invoke feelings of elation and self-validation when you see what ol' Bubba is up to now.  (Why you ever thought it was a good idea to date someone named "Bubba" is on you though.)

For example, just today, I typed Scott Klonczynski* into dorkbook just to see what would happen.  I don't even know what made me think of him.  It's been at least five - nearly six - years since I've had any contact with him.  Last I knew he was a too tall, too skinny, high school rowing coach working the door of a bar in southern Oregon to make some extra cash.  (That was also a point in my life where I didn't have the first clue about what the hell I wanted, let alone from whom or when.  I was 24; he was 23, so we both pretty much knew jack-diggly.  But goddam, he was good in the sack.)  The only viable result came with a profile picture of two little kids.  No way, I thought.  But my curiosity had been piqued, so off to google I went.  Sure enough, Screw Responsibility Scott has himself a pretty wife, two totally adorable children, and was named Amateur Athlete of the Week by the local news station for some ridiculous running endeavor.**  I was crazy about this guy at the time, and he about me.  Obviously it didn't work out, and really, for obvious reasons (refer to "I was 24; he was 23..."), but it still twinged a nerve.  The idea that someone else has what I ultimately want.  The fact that he and Mrs. K are (assumedly) happily married with hopes and promises of a bright future together.  The fact that I'm still searching for just that - someone who wants to be with me until we take our respective dirt naps.  Someone to grow up and grow old with, and yes, even reproduce.

Then I reminded myself that this is the path I chose.  If baby making, husband supporting, dish washing was all I wanted, I could have settled in years ago.  But it's not.  It's not all of who I want to be.  It's certainly a part of it, and I fully admit that part of me feels totally inadequate that I haven't met a man who wants to make an honest woman out of me.  But I have a hell of good thing going, and even though it doesn't involve a ring on my finger, it's not to be discredited (not even by self-doubt).

And, to make the point, there is a terribly sexy man back at my place waiting to cook me dinner.



*Name changed to protect the not-so-innocent, or at least to avoid a potentially very awkward phone call.  I apologize if there is a real Scott Klonczynski reading this, you're not who I'm talking about.  Or if your current girlfriend/wife/mistress finds this offensive, also not my intent.  But, assuming you're just as good in the sack at the fictional Scott, she should consider herself lucky.

**And this is why you should google yourself and get all that kind of information off the interwebs, otherwise one of your exes will be writing a blog post about you too before too long.  TBD whether you will fall into the Scott or Bubba category.

No comments:

Post a Comment