Friday, May 11, 2012

Night Moves

Here we are, another round of GVT'ing.  Twelve hour shifts are much more appealing when it's NOT 75 and sunny and perfect.  Technically I'm on the 2p-Midnight shift, but that really means I'm on the noon-midnight-thirty shift, so that I can get in and get my day job done for two hours and tidy up post shift.  The first day is always the worst - partly because there are potentially 19 more days exactly like it, and partly because these things are always slow to get rolling, so there's really not much at all to do the first few shifts.  I've already determined that I did not bring enough snacks for tonight - in fact, I'm barely halfway through this shift, and I've already gone through all of my food.  I'll make a run back up to the lab pretty soon to snag some almond butter to eat on Mark's rice cakes that he foolishly left here in the motorhome.  The OT will be good for the next few weeks, but it will also destroy all possibilities for a trip to Whitefish over Memorial Day weekend.  I can already tell that I'm allergic to something in this motorhome; it's very reminiscent of Roger & Sharon's camper van and the upholstery on their seats.  Adding "hand lotion" and "anti-histamines" to the list of things to remember tomorrow.  Along with "more rations" and "a book or some other form of entertainment."  Because while I'm SURE you all would love to read my stream of consciousness for the next five hours, I'm just not sure I can actually type for that long.  Sorry.  I'll do what I can to make it up to you.  First order of business may be getting the hell out of this trailer so I don't skin my own hands to stop the itching.  That would make it even harder to type - or at least messier.

Anyway, so other than the big news about little Dylan, I've been kind of off the map again, eh?  Since you last heard, Adam had landed a job with a group of interventional radiology folks in what you could call the "greater Seattle" area.  He'll have a bit of a drive every day, but since he only has to work FOUR days a week, I'm not exactly pouring out the sympathy.  And because he's got that Riding-On-Clouds-4Runner.  So that's really the secondary big exciting news around here.  Frankly, he's kind of annoying when he's not working and isn't being stimulated during the day.  He'd probably be a whole lot less annoying if I weren't being stimulated all day long with stupid flight test queries, but either way, the days he's gotten out to play and we spend the evenings together have been the best.

We did get out to Leavenworth a couple of weekends ago and I got my first Washington rock climbing experience.  Crack climbing is HARRRRRRRD.  Physically and mentally.  But it's also terribly satisfying to reach the top of route, which makes it addicting.  Or at least makes me want to up my endurance so I don't have to take a break halfway up a route (and 5/8 up, and 3/4 up, and every time I get to a point where the next move isn't obvious).   It's also an awesome precursor to sit on the deck in Skykomish and watch the river roll by with a beer in hand.

Last weekend was Opening Day, or the annual Dog & Pony show through the cut.  Hung out with the usual LWRC suspects to watch the races, swung by Conibear Shellhouse to say hi to the Harshman sisters and Tom's boat.  Chance came with us and was pretty awed by the boathouse in full operation.  Minor detour to Recycled Cycles to get a new tube for Adam's bike, then on to Pocock for the after party.  There has recently been a mass exodus from Lake Union to PRC because of a coaching change, so now PRC has FORTY TWO WOMEN rowing in the morning program.  I just don't understand these girls that jump from club to club with the phase of the moon.  1) Isn't it expensive to keep buying new unis?  2) Don't you feel ANY kind of loyalty to those you were rowing with or for before?  and 3) If you ALL go to the same club, you know there won't be anyone for you to race but yourselves, right?  Bullet #3 there was in full effect during the races - the Women's 60+ eight was the most exciting race of the day.  Anyway, the PRC after party was everything I hoped for - Matt Lacey in a big Mexican blanket sweater, a large bowl of delicious sangria, and a pinata full of mini bottles of tequila.  Around 3p we realized that even one drink is too many on no food, so we set off with Chance to remedy that.  A full meal at Shultzy's, and a bit of intoxicated bike riding back to Ballard.

This week was mostly uneventful, except for a mid-week BBQ at Farmer's.  Tasha tried to make BBQ sauce, but wasn't being very successful, so she started drinking.  It turned out just fine, and I snagged the leftover Gretchen's 18-layer bean dip and a box of tortilla chips from the Flutter room for the occasion.  En route to Farmer's, we swung by Dana's to drop off a cycling kit that will fit her much better than it would ever fit me, and ended up enjoying a bottle of Rose, and some cheese & crackers.  Then, nearly a full bottle of Rioja at Farmer's and I was cursing the grapes the next day.

About time to roll up to the lab to investigate some more snacks.  Miller left some unsuspecting rice cakes sitting here and I think I have a stash of almond butter that will complement them nicely.  Or adequately, anyway.

 Author's note:  I re-read this and realized I mentioned the almond butter and rice cakes at least twice.  I have concluded that I was very hungry while typing - and probably really bored too.

No comments:

Post a Comment