Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Midway, Day 5

Eventually I'll get a post of pictures that Adam has sent from Midway.  He's not earning any points right now.  Beach, sand, albatross, sun.  The exact opposite of Seattle, in fact.  I mailed his Christmas package out today - should arrive in time for the December 29th flight out of HNL.  So not quite a visit from Santa, but pretty close.  There is a gold mine of stuff in there, if I do say so myself.

Let's just hope he doesn't find this blog before December 29th.

I wrote cute little notes on each of the wrapped presents, like "XOXO, Gaia" and "I have a matching one.  We'll be so cute when you get back."  And then I had a total "Oh my god. I'm turning into my mother" moment.  So I texted my brother with that statement and he comes back with, "Did you get pregnant?"  WTF, Andrew.

The weekend was full of TM room duty.  I was still recovering from the gluentization Thursday evening and the champagne tasting Friday evening until at least Monday morning.  Even though I thought the plan was to detox while the boy was gone.  Maybe the habits aren't all his...

We chatted briefly last night, but the conversation started over a shitty skype connection.  There was a wicked delay and then random background noises that neither of us could make out.  So the conversation went a little like this:
Adam:  Would you stop talking, I'm trying to tell you something.
Jen:  Ok, ok.  I'm listening now.  Really.
Adam:  "...They found that simple exercises like the..."  STOP INTERRUPTING, I'M TRYING TO TALK.
Jen: I HAVEN'T MADE A SOUND SINCE YOU STARTED TALKING.  STOP YELLING AT ME.
And then repeat, give or take a few words.  Then I said I'd just call him at the clinic the next day so we could use a land line, and he said I could call the one in his room.  And I said, "YOU HAVE A LAND LINE IN YOUR ROOM?  THEN WHY THE HELL ARE WE ON SKYPE?"  He thought football season would be the end of us.  Nope.  It will be skype.

Ballard for the evening.  Figured I go to the gym, come to the Fir for some cider & internet, the see if I had a better cell signal in the apartment here, and then hit the gym again tomorrow before Snaknite.  I ran into Adam's climbing buddy Evan at the gym, and he's a Tuesday/Thursday kind of a guy, so I might hit the boathouse tomorrow instead.  I read some interesting articles about strength training for climbing (as recommended by Adam) today, and it looks like I'll probably be back with the Oly bar over the winter.  So I'm curious about what my base is on squats, dead lifts and bench press.  Tomorrow shall be a good day to find out.  Then I can go back to the gym Thursday and be all sorts of sore... wait a minute. 

Anyway, turns out Evan is an awesome teacher when it comes to climbing and I got through a lot of problems that I had been struggling with for the last week or so.  Really glad to have made that contact and will definitely be back for more.  I feel like that's what would have been missing in my gym experience.  With no guidance,  I likely would have hammered through the same V0, V1 and V2 routes all winter.  He was uber interested in how Adam and I met and how long we'd been dating, and whathaveyou.  Apparently Adam mentioned the DOG, but never mentioned that he had a GIRLFRIEND.  We then agreed that he was an ass.

Getting a little anxious about travel plans in the spring (already, yes - but not too anxious, as I do have a delicious cider at my side).  Tickets for Hawaii are at my price limit and tickets to France are creeping up.  I have a feeling Christmas or New Years will be the turning point and they'll really start climbing.  Hoping to get a commitment from Adam on France sometime soon, and hoping he'll ping RMI about when he'll know his exit flight from MDY.  Not holding my breath though.  Love the man, but he's got the planning capability of a squirrel.

And, I made Mom Potter's lasagna last night.  Delicious. I made a half size pan, but still used a full pound of mozzarella.  Guaranteed that my guts will hate me by the time I'm done with it.  But it reheats so well (and again - turning into my mother).


Bet they're not serving this on Midway Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment